Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Shame on you, Senator Vitter

Disgusting.

Louisiana Sen. David Vitter, whose telephone number was disclosed by the so-called "D.C. Madam" accused of running a prostitution ring, says he is sorry for a "serious sin" and that he has already made peace with his wife.

"This was a very serious sin in my past for which I am, of course, completely responsible," Vitter said Monday in a printed statement. "Several years ago, I asked for and received forgiveness from God and my wife in confession and marriage counseling. Out of respect for my family, I will keep my discussion of the matter there—with God and them. But I certainly offer my deep and sincere apologies to all I have disappointed and let down in any way."

...

A Harvard graduate and Rhodes scholar, the 46-year-old Vitter was elected to his current office in 2004, becoming the first Republican from Louisiana elected to the Senate since Reconstruction. He represented Louisiana's 1st Congressional District in the House from 1999 to 2004.

In the House, Vitter succeeded GOP Rep. Robert Livingston, who was in line to replace Newt Gingrich as speaker until Livingston admitted to extramarital affairs and quit Congress. Livingston had been a critic of President Clinton, calling on him to resign over his affair with Monica Lewinsky.

Vitter and his wife, Wendy, live in Metairie, La., with their four children.

In 2000, Wendy Vitter told Newhouse News Service she could not be as forgiving as Livingston's wife or Hillary Clinton.
Apparently, they don't teach fidelity at Harvard.

Now, before you start with "let him that is without sin...", I certainly do appreciate his seeking forgiveness from his family and wife and from God (hopefully in reverse order). And yes, he is a human. And humans sin. And I, Mr. Light Bulb, am a human. And I sin.

But come on. A Harvard-educated man, a former Representative, and now a Senator cheating on his wife? And, on top of all that, a Republican. Didn't he know that as a Republican he has to behave much better than any democrat would think of? Or maybe he wanted to . . . test drive a newer model. Maybe he and his wife didn't get along. Maybe she pushed him to it.

But what about this?
He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.
— Proverbs 18:22
Again, I'm not perfect, so let me apply this to my life. Is Mrs. Light Bulb a beauty queen? Is she runway model quality? Is she a smokin' hot mama? Why yes, she is, as a matter of fact. And do you want to know why? It's not because of her outward appearances, stunning though they may be. It's because she is a gift designed specifically for me by the one true living God, the maker of the heavens and the earth, the creator of all things. Yes, that God. If I ever cheated on her, besides crumbling her heart to pieces and breaking the solemn vow I made to her and to Him in front of a whole lot of people, I would be telling God that his gift to me was not quite what I was looking for, that I didn't trust his taste, that I didn't particularly care for his choice.

Well, that's not gonna happen.

Shame needs to be brought back in vogue.

No comments: