Tuesday, April 25, 2006

His Grace is Sufficient for Me

My adorable daughter, my little Daffodil, was diagnosed today with juvenile onset Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus.

Part of me is so very hurt and angry with God. How could You let this happen again? I want to scream and hit something. That is my human part, and all too often it rules me. Thankfully, there is the other part of me. And that part knows that the Living and Almighty God, who laid the very foundations of the earth, knew this day would come even before he laid those foundations. He knew that my little girl would need parents who were responsible and capable of caring for her, strong and uncompromising in her discipline, merciful whenever possible, and loving always. He knew that she would be encouraged, comforted, and probably challenged by her older brother, afflicted with the same disease almost six years earlier. He knew then and knows now all these things because He is in control. He is sovereign. Nothing — not one thing — happens with out His knowledge.

I know all these things very well, and they give me great comfort. But my heart still hurts.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
— II Corinthians 12:9 (NIV)
Please pray for my beautiful wife and I as we begin this new phase of our family's life caring for two diabetics, for our son who is now no longer the sole diabetic, and for our little Daffodil.

6 comments:

S. said...

Hey M--, I mean, "Mr. L.--"

You know you're in our prayers. I enjoyed reading your post, but I just can't add anything to it. But you're right: His grace is sufficient. Amen. And I know so many are praying for your family right now. We love you. My kids have prayed some sweet prayers, esp. M. in his inarticulate, sincere way. Hug your wife for me.

Nice comment from the 'stranger' above. Funny thing about blogging. (I'm often surprised at the number of Christians in the blogosphere...)

The Doctor said...

Praying also for you and yours,
from the far side of the world (minus the big sailing vessel)...

Anonymous said...

Well you've got me in tears! I want you to know my heart hurts for all of you. We love you and we love your kids and we care and
we are praying.
I shared this with two friends last night after choir and we prayed for all of you. We won't stop.
You are right that God knew this before the dawn of time, and you can trust him. You can also be mad at Him if you need to be. And
He is already using your faith to witness to others here and elsewhere, and to encourage.
KW

Anonymous said...

i don't know who you are...but i was told that i would really like this blog...(kathy wales is the culprit)...and now i see that both her sons know you...and that leaves me only to believe that you must be a member of HOUSTON'S FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH.

i'm commenting because there is a little girl named abigail who lives in prague...i moved there and became her friend...and as we traveled throughout europe together...we discovered that she has insulin dependent diabetes...just like your children...and she changed my life.

i came back to texas...determined to go to medical school...not because i've got to find a cure...but because this one child has so much life in her...it brought alive a part of me that might not ever have been realized.

i guess my point is...in all things give thanks...because your children will change more lives than just yours...whether you ever know it or not.

peace to you and your family...i'll be reading...e

S. said...

Interesting, E. Really.

But you must know that brothers tend to know all sorts of common people, both in and out of the church. (Maybe he's a Sharpstown Apollo!)

Mr. Light Bulb said...

e
First, thanks for reading my blog. Second, no, I do not attend HFBC. Third, thank you for prayers.

And thanks to all of you as well. News about my little Daffodil soon.