Friday, May 26, 2006

House Republicans - Stay Strong!!!

Yesterday, the Senate passed its Amnesty Bill. (Yes, I know, it's really called the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006, but it has nothing to do with immigration.) Truly, it's an awful thing. And to list all of the reasons why it's an awful thing would take an awfully long time. But, at least, I can start.

Here are Senator Jim DeMint's "Top Ten Reasons to Oppose the Senate Amnesty Bill". Incredible stuff. He links to the article in the New York Times by Ed Meese that compares the 2006 Amnesty Bill to the 1986 Amnesty Bill.

Here are Senator Charles Grassley's "TOP 10 FLAWS WITH AMNESTY AND GUEST WORKER OF COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM BILL". Senator Grassley voted for the 1986 Amnesty Bill. To quote Senator Grassley:

I was burned once in 1986 when I voted for amnesty believing that it would solve our problems. Now, we have a 12 million illegal immigrant problem. I'm not getting burned again.
Oh, did you hear? The bill contains a provision requiring Mexico to be consulted and giving them veto power concerning any new border wall construction. I am not joking.

But most of all, Jimmy Carter, our nation's worst president, likes it. Short of the hand of Almighty God ripping this bill to shreds, I can think of no better way to show its worthlessness.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


All of this and more, most of you probably know. But, for some reason, many of our Republican politicians — my beloved President Bush included — have decided to turn their deaf ear toward those of us who simply want our nation protected and our borders treated as . . . well, borders. After all, it is one of the specified duties of Congress listed in Article I Section 8 of our nation's constitution. It's not rocket science. Thankfully, there are Republicans in the House of Representatives who share the desire to see our southern border treated as a border once again and not as a sieve. Since the House of Representatives and the Senate have passed two different versions of what is supposed to be the same bill, a conference committee will be formed with the goal of producing a compromise bill that can be passed by both houses and forwarded to President Bush for his signature and enactment into law.

So, from my humble corner of the cyberuniverse, I wish to send the House Republicans a message:

Stay Strong!!!
Do NOT compromise!
Seal the border FIRST.

And if, because you are uncompromising, you are labeled as stubborn or racists or "nativists", don't worry. We know you are doing the right thing. We know you are doing the job we sent you to Washington, D.C. to do. Let the Liberals and the McCainiacs squeal all they need to. We need you to do the right thing.

A few days ago, I told you of my imaginary dinner with President Bush and the First Lady, and how my imagination wouldn't let me finish the dinner after my first question. Now I know why; I hate nightmares.

1 comment:

S. said...

The "disconnect" of our senators is truly astounding, isn't it? They seem to regard themselves as a "House of Lords," not an American House of Representatives---which they are, in spite of the fact we use that term for the other house. (Does that make sense?)

What I mean is, McCain, for example, can't be bothered by representing the will of Arizona. He just does whatever he wants to do, knowing he'll win elections by staying in the news.

That consulting Mexico thing is so completely absurd. Not to be sexist, but our culture is so feminized in some ways; we value things that feel nice, regardless of the consequences. As Robert Fulghum might put it: "All I Really Need to Know About Foreign Policy, I Learned in Kindergarten."