Sunday, May 21, 2006

New Orleans: Stuck on Stupid

The citizens of New Orleans . . . well, that's not right. Let me try that again.

Some people who currently live in New Orleans and some people who claim to have formerly lived in New Orleans but who actually live in other towns (is this a great country or what?) voted yesterday in the New Orleans Mayoral run-off election. The result: New Orleans is "Stuck on Stupid."

A majority of New Orleanians chose . . . oh, I did it again. Sorry.

A majority of the voters in yesterday's election chose Ray "School Bus" Nagin to continue serving . . . good grief, you'd think I'd learn . . . occupying the office of Mayor of the City of New Orleans.

Now, to be honest, half of me really doesn't care what happens in New Orleans. If the people who voted really want the guy who will be remembered for this picture —
Ray Nagin Memorial Bus Farm
— to be mayor again, that's just peachy. And, they really didn't have much of a choice. It was either School Bus or Mitch Landrieu, Louisiana's current Lieutenant Governor, brother of current Louisiana Senator Mary "I'll punch him" Landrieu, and son of former New Orleans Mayor Moon Landrieu. As Rush Limbaugh so expertly put it last Friday, it's like asking who you'd like your daughter to go out on a date with, Teddy Kennedy or Bill Clinton.

But on the other hand, the people who voted in yesterday's election have given the rest of the nation four more years of irresponsibility, incompetence, and whining about a supposed lack of "chocolate." I'm not looking forward to it.

4 comments:

S. said...

Congratulations on--how did you put it--a "link fest of a posting." I especially like the photo of Ms. Capechne (sp?).

Mr. Light Bulb said...

Thank you, Steven. "Link-a-palooza" might even suffice. I have to say I'm a little proud of it, especially the CALEA web site, which I've seen nowhere else on the web.

S. said...

(Sorry--can't find the CALEA link.)

Mr. Light Bulb said...

Sorry, I was referencing the previous post on Leslie Cauley. "NO:SoS" is a link-a-palooza as well. This may be a trend.