Saturday, July 29, 2006

Ritalin has replaced spanking - and it's not working

From World Net Daily:

After I read professor Judith Kleinfeld's report last week, exposing the feminist hoax of the early '90s that purported to show girls as disadvantaged in American schools, I discussed the matter with a friend who teaches "problem" children in a suburban Alberta system.

The Kleinfeld report shows that the disadvantaged kids in American schools, as indisputably evidenced by dropout rates, university registrations and chronic behavioral problems, are not girls. They are boys.

"How many of your 'problem' children are boys?" I asked my friend. Nearly all of them, he said. "How many of the problems are discipline problems?" Nearly all of them, he said. "How many of these discipline problems could be solved if teachers and parents were to routinely swat these kids across their bottoms for misbehavior?" Nearly all of them, he said.

"Then why don't they do it?" I asked.

He looked at me amazed. "Because, of course, society doesn't approve of that anymore," he said.

(Emphasis mine.)
I spank my children. I do not say that proudly nor do I say it sheepishly. I say it because I believe it is simply the right thing to do. No one said it better than Bill Cosby (of all people): "You must associate pain with abhorrent behavior in the mind of a child." Children are not mature enough to understand moral consequences but they can understand physical consequences. I have seen the consequences of not disciplining children. I have even worked with undisciplined children who have physically grown into adults. It is a horrible thing.

I spank my children because I LOVE them, and I do not want them to grow up into beasts. I spank my children because I believe God's word tells me to. I am instructed to train my children. TRAIN them - Proverbs 22:6. And I spank my children because I feel I have a responsibility to you (society). I could unleash two beasts upon you. You would then have to hire ungrateful employees or live next to degenerate citizens or lock up criminals. Instead, it is my goal to provide you two outstanding humans, a man and woman of God, who respect you as fellow citizens and with whom you are happy to interact.

There is no magic drug that will accomplish any of this.

5 comments:

Michael Tams said...

Mr. LB,

Great post... I too, spank my children when necessary. One of the greatest disservices a parent can do to their children is to let them grow up without boundaries or consequences. The real world will be a much harsher teacher than a parent ever could be. For that matter, when spanking, one must also spank hard enough to cause physical pain - otherwise the child thinks there are no consequences.

A favorite quote of mine goes something like this: permissiveness is the act of treating a child like an adult and ensuring that they never become one.

Mr. Light Bulb said...

I like that quote. Good to hear you're also a common sense man when it comes to discipline. My children can play with yours.

Anonymous said...

We spanked ours, too. However, there are good arguments for other forms of discipline, just as effective in most children. The point, I think, is the limits, the boundaries, who's in charge. Discipline is indeed love in action, just as God disciplines us because of His great love. I've seen many children who are confused as to who runs their world, and it's very, very sad.
I've also seen children who are expected to be perfect, or close thereunto, and that, too, hurts my heart. I don't believe in "permissiveness" per se, but kids are kids, and parents who expect them to behave as adults make me absolutely furious. One of the drawbacks of being a career preschool educator (of a sort) is seeing into these families and praying for change, for mercy, for understanding for these kids. They can be as hard to handle as those who lack parental control.

Anonymous said...

Oh . . . and of course, Ritalin is rarely the answer, and is way
overused! SDW can tell you more about this, if he hasn't already.

S. said...

Yeah, I've been ritalin free since--forever!

Spanking is great because it is:
1) Immediate
2) Scary
3) Soon over.