Monday, July 03, 2006

"Superman Returns"

I recommend it. My wife and I saw it today at the Studio Move Grill (which I also recommend). I don't know if the sound was intentionally LOUD (as in a Director choice) or happened to be LOUD (as in a facility setting), but it was LOUD. This served the movie exceedingly well (IMHO), especially during the beautiful opening and title sequence. The explosion of Krypton shook my bones. I'm serious. After the explosion was finished, I turned to look at my wife . . . and realized that I needed to exhale. Evidently I had been holding my breath because the movie was so frighteningly LOUD. Highly cool. (Those of you who know me know my penchant for all things loud when it comes to film audio and exercising my 15 inch subwoofer, so you know that I know of which I write.)

Cast. Spacey was expectedly great. It is always fun to play the bad guy, and you could tell he enjoyed it. Parker Posey, spot on. Kate Bosworth . . . well, Louis Lane is supposed to be an intrepid reporter. Bosworth was not an intrepid reporter. She's pretty, but she just didn't convince me. Routh did well. Let's face it, when casting Superman you're probably not looking for Olivier or Branaugh. You're probably looking for a specific-looking body that has a specific-looking head attached to it that has a brain inside it that can take direction. And he did that well.

The film was beautifully photographed. The flying sequences were AMAZING. The first action sequence (which Singer has admitted was an homage to Donner) was an E-ticket rollercoaster ride. You could tell that bits of the flying were computer generated, but I could get over it. The story was good with a couple of possible directions to go for the next one.

Overall, a definite add to my DVD collection when it appears. Can't wait to see Krypton blow up again.

No comments: